Nigeria University News

OAU Students Demand Fire Extinguishers from Management after Three Outbreaks

Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Main Entrance. Photo: Premium Times

Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) has reportedly recorded three fire outbreaks within ten months which were worsened by the failure of the management of the institution to provide functional fire extinguishers in the halls of residence.
It was reported by Premium Times that one of the butteries in Adekunle Fajuyi hall, a male hostel and a room in Moremi hall, a female hostel, were affected by the fire outbreaks in the last six months of the year.
Also, on Tuesday evening, a fire outbreak, caused by a cooking gas explosion, destroyed the properties of the occupants of a room in Alumni female hostel, which rendered them worried and homeless.
“Four of the occupants of the room were actually around when the incident happened but they couldn’t help the situation,” Olarotimi Olajumoke, a student said.
Olajumoke further added that the unavailability of water or extinguisher at that particular moment worsened the whole thing.
Some of the students who spoke to Premium Times lamented the lack of functional fire extinguishers in their various hostels as most of the halls are without fire extinguishers and the few ones available are broken, some are old and some are expired.
However, students of the institution have demanded that the university’s management should provide fire extinguishers in their various hostels should in case of a recurrence.

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.